Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sun Jul 26 00:14 MDT 1998

----------
> From: Kent Swafford <kswafford@earthlink.net>
> To: caut@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Letter to  PTG Technical Editor (fwd)
> Date: Saturday, July 25, 1998 1:11 PM
>
> Newton Hunt wrote:
>

> >It is still a good tool.  Can anyone substiat it's ingrediants and it's
> >migration qualities?
> >
> >        Newton
>
> Silly Putty is said to be mainly boric acid and silicone oil.
>
> Kent

Now Newton has said he has observed no deleterious effects from silly
putty on string sections. Perhaps we should take him at his word, and even
consider silly putty might have a beneficial effect, despite the horrible
sounding names of boric acid and silicone oil.  It could be even that the
silicone oil in silly putty is scant enough to only migrate to the
friction points and stay there.  Every one raves about Protec clp. Who is
to say the lubricants in that don't migrate as much as silicone does.
	With any lubricant in a piano you have to be damn careful where and how
much you put on.  Regarding substances used to mute, how many of us have
seen the residues of masking tape or duct tape on noisey string sections.
Compared to these, silly putty could actually be beneficial.... I would
say it leaves less behind than others, and if it leaves a trace amount of
silicone, that might be benefical, in the friction points.   as long as it
stays there......

Richard Moody