Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri Jul 24 21:36 MDT 1998

Newton Hunt wrote:

>S. Brady wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>         Here's a letter I received recently from a technician seeking
>> help on a Steinway noise. Any ideas?

I was embarassed this past year to find similar noises being produced in
a B as the result of loose bolts holding the removable plate strut. Boy,
I thought I had checked those!

>In order to eliminate duplex scaling as a source is to use some "Silly Putty"
>on BOTH ends of the duplex scale, behind the bridge and at the capo' bar.
>
>Silly Putty will conform to the strings and mute them entirely.  It will not
>leave any residue nor effect the metal in any way.

Newton, you are aware, aren't you, that one of the two main ingredients
in Silly Putty is silicone oil?  <evil grin>

Kent Swafford