Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri Jul 24 20:53 MDT 1998

Steve/List,

Although Tom has documented his case well, I'm going to play with the "sounds
like" portion instead of assuming string/belly areas. Since this sound
could be
telegraphed from other areas, and be misunderconstrued for something else,
let's explore...

- sostenuto mounting, blade pivot bushings, and 'proximities' to other stuff;
- lyre braces (nah -- too obvious);
- lock assembly (if aftermarket kludge appended)
- topboard long hinge pin (don't think so)
- lid prop and related (especially when down)
- trapwork underlevers, mounts and pinning
- damper wire sockets;
- bridge cutout around or below plate strut.
- damper upstop rail
- the 'bell' (there have been stories)

Finally, although I've heard of this only once (and Paul Monroe found it),
there was an incident where the shelf portion of a nose bolt failed to contact
the bottom of a plate strut. Same general area (and phenomenon) as described
here. In this case, the gap was so small, it could be called microscopic...
just enough to cause a whisper buzz.

These are off the cuff responses on reading the message. If I think of other
things, I'll repost.
-jh-

[portions cut]
>Although it sounds like a soundboard related noise, I have set the
>strings on the bridges, experimented with the string/ capo d astro bar
>relationship, tried muting duplex string segments, checked action parts
>for loose joints and pinning, reshaped hammers, voiced, and listened
>under the piano and inside it while it was being played.  I have cleaned
>underneath the plate, blown out the whole soundboard area with my vacuum,
>and checked for obvious soundboard and rib  problems, even for dried glue
>remnants on the edges.  I have always been able to find a remedy for
>other Steinway  treble problems, but not this one.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
Tuning is a means to an end
              -- Harvey (date unknown)