Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri Jul 24 10:26 MDT 1998

S. Brady wrote:

> Dear list,
>         Here's a letter I received recently from a technician seeking
> help on a Steinway noise. Any ideas?

In order to eliminate duplex scaling as a source is to use some "Silly Putty"
on BOTH ends of the duplex scale, behind the bridge and at the capo' bar.

Silly Putty will conform to the strings and mute them entirely.  It will not
leave any residue nor effect the metal in any way.

With the entire duplex system muted it is easier to locate the problem if it
is not in the dulpex.

If it is in the duplex it may well be but one or two unisons causing the
problem so some experiments are in order.

Further I would mute the undamped strings at the top end to eliminate them as
a source.

Good hunting.

                                            Newton
                                            nhunt@jagat.com