Strike length

Michael J. Wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Fri Jan 30 09:32 MST 1998

Newton,

Thanks for you fix on the issue.  I've heard that measurement from Steinway
before.

>Hi, Michail,
>
>Hammer location is a matter of design and preference or establishment in
>the factory. Each maker has their own spec and sometimes this faries
>from model to model by the same factory.
>
>On steinway it is generally 5.125", but this can change based on action
>location. plate casting and if they were impropverly glued on in the
>factory.  Take 5.123" is a beginning point, but set 88 and the bottom of
>the top section by ear and straight line from those two points.
>
>Mason & Hamlin are glued on at 89 degress, not 90 degrees and the specs
>change from model to model.
>
>Quite often hammers are bored improperly to fit an individual piano,
>hence my preference for boring hammers myself.
>
>Setting optimum location is done by ear and careful assessment of the
>factory job, if original and use of common sense and experimenting when
>not.
>
>I hope this has made it as clear as molasus.
>
>	Newton
>	nhunt@jagat.com

Actually,

I was wondering how this is all derived.  Tim, where does this 7/1 ratio
come from?  Why not 7.379/1 or something else?

Michael J. Wathen				Email: michael.wathen@uc.edu
College-Conservatory of Music		tel: 513 556-9565
University of Cincinnati			Visit The Piano Technicians Web Page,
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0096			to request service click below or visit
		    				http://www.uc.edu/~wathenmj/piano.htm