Concert Grand Longevity

Tcoates Tcoates@aol.com
Thu Jan 29 05:34 MST 1998

<<Tim

What's a Wapin?

Richard West
University of Nebraska

>I believe that a great deal of an instrument's sound can be restored and
>enhanced by working on the bridges.  There will be a CAUT Seminar on some of
>the principles involved with this at the National PTG Convention this summer.
>In the meantime I suggest a visit to this website:
>http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu/noframes.htm
>
>Tim Coates
>University of South Dakota>>>

Richard,

You need to get confidentiality papers from Michael Wathen for me to discuss
it further with you.  I can tell you this much:  I have installed this bridge
modification and it is truly amazing.  I took a 1914 Knabe A (5'8") and made
it better than anything I've heard before around here.  I had to work to pull
the usual trouble areas down (two octaves above middle C) because they were
too powerful.  I also had to make the action heavier, because the action is so
much more responsive.  I am now starting a 9' Knabe that will have this bridge
modification.  It should be very interesting, as Wapin takes 9' grands to a
whole different level of performance.

Please get the confidentiality papers via e-mail from Michael and then get
access to the password protected area of the Wapin website.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota