grand piano longevity

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri Jan 23 09:55 MST 1998

Piano senility, an interesting concept, and I think apt.

Pianos change gradually, without our notice the changes, like our tuning
customers.

At Oberlin I am sure that you have finer climate control than most piano
environments.  Could this be a factor.

This kind of flies in the face of pianos improving with age, does it
not?

The question then arises, how can we, as the on site techs, prolong that
'newness'.  Regulation, voicing, tuning, climate control, cleanliness,
and what other factors are there?

I have seen this deteriation of C&A pianos and ascribed to poor
maintenance, which was obvious, but it appears there are other forces at
work here.

	Newton