concert grand longevity

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri Jan 23 05:05 MST 1998

Hello ,
     Could tiny cracks have developed at the joints of the support
beams  under the piano and between inner and outer rim? We've had good
success in some older smaller grands turning the piano upside down, and
filling these cracks with CA glue. This strenghtened the structure and
resulted in a better sustain particularly in the treble.  The sustain
was not much longer but stronger/fuller during the after sound. I have
never  attempted this on a concert grand but it's just a thought.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT