concert grand longevity

Thu Jan 22 13:22 MST 1998

Dave, et al,

Used to be (nominally) 7-10 years, and, there were certainly
numerous exceptions.  However, with the advent of the Rich
Persons Tax Reform Act of 1986 (and similar legislation), it became
significantly more profitable to put things on accelerated
depreciation schedules.

Also, and not entirely coincidentally, retiring out all those
nasty, used up, no-good-anymore instruments, there was
less around to be used as comparisons to the new,
improved, longer-lower-wider models...

Best.

Horace

At 01:06 PM 1/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
>One might check Steinway and Baldwin on their view of longevity of their
>C & A pianos.  I don't think they leave them out there very long.  Some
>get rebuilt, some sold but they don't stay in concert service very long.
>Does anyone know how long they are used before retirement?
>
>dave

>David M. Porritt, RPT
>Meadows School of the Arts
>Southern Methodist University