Hammer Softeners

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Jan 16 16:15 MST 1998

Bob,

   I'm going to let others answer your questions, but have you tried your
college chemistry departments for Methanol? I bought a gallon jug of it
from mine. That was 3-4 yrs. ago but I think it would be worth an inquiry.
   Are you on the pianotech list also? There's been quite a discussion
going on the last few days about Methanol, etc., i.e.

>Not what I meant at all, Jim! Not that _you_, or _anyone_, is dumb! Not
>that you abuse chemicals, or encouraged anyone else to abuse them. Not
>that ethanol is harmless, totally harmless.
>
>ONLY two things:
>That ethanol isn't nearly _as_ toxic as methanol, and will do exactly the
>same jobs exactly as well.

   The above quote is the only thing I could find in today's posts. The
discussion has centered primarily on the toxicity of Methanol compared to
other similar things in relation to shrinking solutions. Using it as a
hammer softener hasn't come up yet. I have also used Methanol for that
purpose when I had to or when I knew that I'd be replacing the hammers
soon anyway.
   The previous posts should be in the archives soon, if not already, so
you might search there if no one specifically answers your questions.

Avery

>For years I have used a mixture of methanol and water to soften old hard
>hammers (3 pts methanol, 1 part water).  It words great.  Recently I have
>been unable to buy methanol in our town, Hutchinson, Kansas. One druggist
>told me it wasn't being made anymore.  Can I substitute ethanol in its
>place?  I'm not a chemist so I don't know what is in there.  Is the water
>already added in ethanol?  I think ethanol is the same as rubbing alcohol.
>Advice, please.
>
>Bob Unruh  RPT
>bobunruh@southwind.net
>Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas