Renner Hammers

Mon Jan 5 15:55 MST 1998

Dave,

Before using hardener or doing extensive shaping,
what is the downweight/upweight like?

Renner can talk about not using hardeners, but the
manufacturers who use their hammers do it all the time.

Usually, the "correct" answer is a combination of ingredients.
These hammers respond well to needles, hardeners, and,
if not over-hardened, ironing.  Your experience sounds
perfectly like a new set.

But please, don't sacrifice quality of sound at full volume
(through removal of too much hammer mass) in order to
get more midrange punch.

I'm sorry, you knew this already, or you wouldn't have posted
what you did.

More later, if you wish.

Best.

Horace

At 03:40 PM 1/5/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Has anyone ever had any experience doping Renner hammers?  Renner's
>literature says that doping doesn't work well and recommends filing if
>more brightness is needed.
>
>I just put on a set of G5M Premium Blues on a Steinway "D" and they are
>a little soft.  Octaves 1 & 2 sound good, and octave 7 is fine.  The
>whole middle is a little mellow.  I don't like filing away 5 years of
>felt to get to the good stuff.  Hammers wear out soon enough without
>pre-wearing them.  I normally would dope them except for the "official"
>word from Renner saying I shouldn't.  Any experience with this on the
>list?
>
>dave

>David M. Porritt, RPT
>Meadows School of the Arts