Renner Hammers

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Mon Jan 5 14:41 MST 1998

Has anyone ever had any experience doping Renner hammers?  Renner's
literature says that doping doesn't work well and recommends filing if
more brightness is needed.

I just put on a set of G5M Premium Blues on a Steinway "D" and they are
a little soft.  Octaves 1 & 2 sound good, and octave 7 is fine.  The
whole middle is a little mellow.  I don't like filing away 5 years of
felt to get to the good stuff.  Hammers wear out soon enough without
pre-wearing them.  I normally would dope them except for the "official"
word from Renner saying I shouldn't.  Any experience with this on the
list?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts