Beethoven in Temperaments

Michael J. Wathen Michael.Wathen@uc.edu
Fri Feb 27 21:19 MST 1998

I just got Ed Foote's CD for my birthday!

>Greetings all,
>Guy asks for the CD to be sent,  but what we have to do is wait on the check
>to get here first.  That is for bookkeeping safety, as I will forget who I
>sent a CD to, and well......  you get the picture.
>    We have some left, and more on order,  so I can send a CD as soon as I
>receive the check and the address to send it too.  We pay the postage for
>techs, sooo.....  send $15 to
>Ed Foote
>1506 Cedar Lane
>Nashville, Tn. 37212

There are so many recordings of Beethoven out there that one more seems to
be a waste.  Had it not been for my interest as a tuner I would not have
asked for this CD.  Be that as it may.  Here are my observations.

The Piano----

On first hearing my immediate impression was that the instrument was quite
good. When I read the jacket I was surprised that the instrument was 70's
Steinway.

The Recording Technique--

It generally the piano has good presence.  The only thing that is bothersome
is that the room sound is a bit too loud. It's a very close echo. If it were
a few DBs lower it wouldn't bother me so much.  But in fact, this type of
recording sound on solo piano is fairly common. I just don't like it.

The Performer --

Katahn seems to have a command and a style that is completely adapted to the
differences that result from the use of unequal temperaments.

The Unequal Temperament Sound --

When I first listened to the recording I couldn't detect any real
difference. Later I returned to listen with headphones.  It wasn't until the
"Allegretto" movement of Opus 14, Nr, 1 that I recognized that the
difference was more than subtle. The effect in this movement was
captivating. The depth of expression that was added just by the use unequal
temperament was very unexpected. After this point, I found my hearing and
mood were allowing me to experience Beethoven on an entirely different
level, a new dimension was added.  I've heard these pieces all my life.  I
hear them everyday walking in and out of concert halls and through the
corridors of the conservatory but now I have a reason to listen to them again.

 Michael J. Wathen, RPT			Phone:	513-556-9565
 Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
 College-Conservatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
 University of Cincinnati
 Cincinnati, OH 45221-0096

For more info about Wapin click on the site below.

http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu/