Dueling Pianos

Tue Feb 24 10:34 MST 1998

Allen, Ted, et al,

The main reason I _might_ choose _not_ to increase the letoff distance
has to do with volume.  Certainly, under _most_ circumstances, this would
be good.  Here, I think that approach might simply result in having the
folks pound more.

Truly, maybe not - a very great deal will depend on watching _how_ they
play.  If they're competing with the legendary John Henry (of steel
driving fame), then this might be a great additional change.  If most of the
"action" (sorry) is happening within a few inches of the keyboard anyway,
chances are they'll just play harder, and you stand to lose what you've
gained.  (Although, in the latter case, I'd be more inclined to listen to
what suggestions they might have, as it indicates a knowledge that the
piano key is not a light switch...)

Pounding on....

Horace

At 12:13 PM 2/24/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks, Allen.  We could probably shorten the hammer blow distance a
little too.
>Good to hear from you.
>  Ted
>
>>Perhaps increasing the letoff distance would help a bit?
>>
>>Allen

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT

Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office