Opening in Tennessee

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat Feb 21 21:22 MST 1998

List,

This opening caught also caught my eye in the PTJ. After all, I've done
institutional work, TN is close enough for me to maintain my good 'ol boy
image, et al. Does he (me) want to consider this avenue again?

I was curious enough to finally *use* the Internet to do some research, instead
of casual surfing. I found the school has an extensive web presence. There's
even a picture of the chair of the department  (the one who placed the ad), a
map of the grounds and buildings, and what's playing at the local theaters. I
printed out twenty-plus pages of information on both the school and the
surrounding community. As uncle Paul might say, the "rest of the story"
involves what was NOT immediately obvious, and required (perhaps inaccurate)
conclusions on my part.

I reviewed the list of subjects offered, a list of instructors and  their
subject areas, and where *they* studied. Putting all this together, it appears
they have a heavy-duty  music curriculum. It also appears pianos are simply
coincidental in the hierarchy of things. I concluded that pianos are
coincidental, not primary or equal in the curriculum -- a nuisance or necessary
evil.

I could be entirely off base on this, but tend to agree with Horace. The job
description reads like the classic job description Line Item #21: OTHER DUTIES
AS ASSIGNED.

Regards to all, and it's good to be back on CAUT!

Jim Harvey