visiting scholar from China (second post)

lianqii lianqii@sy-public.ln.cninfo.net
Tue Dec 15 09:37 MST 1998

                To the list:
               =20
                I am a teacher of piano technology at Shenyang =
Conservatory of Music and I have just been granted the financial support =
from Chinese government to pursue studies in the USA as a visiting =
scholar.
                Here is the certificate.
                =20
                ----------------------------------------------  =
CERTIFICATE OF THE CSC SCHOLARSHIP/FELLOWSHIP     No.98821152
                Mr. Liu Baoli:
                This is to certify that,after being processed  by a =
group of academic experts,you have been granted the financial support =
from the China Scholarship Council to pursue research and studies in the =
United States of American as a visiting scholar for a period of 12 =
months.
                The sponsorship covers mainly international travel =
tickets, living stipend,health insurance and necessary allowance.
                CHINA SCHOLARSHIP COUNCIL
                ---------------------------------------------------=20
                THE BASIC INFORMATION OF SHENYANG CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC =
AND MYSELF:
                SCM is one of the largest and oldest conservatory in =
China.It was established in 1938 by Chairman Mao Tse-Tong.Now it has =
more than 1500 students major in music,musical education and dancing.The =
piano technology program(major) was established in 1976.
                =20
                I began to study music at an early age.
                From 1981 to 1985 I studied mechanical engineering and =
got my Bachelor Degree.
                From 1987 to 1990 I studied Piano Acoustics and  =
vibration theory,and got my Master Degree.
                From 1985 to 1987 I taught mechanical engineering at =
Tangshan University.
                From 1990 to 1994 I taught Musical =
Acoustics,Mechanics,Piano Making at SCM.
                From 1994 to 1998 I have been the director of the Piano =
Technology Major and the (part-time)chief piano technician of SCM.
                =20
                Being the chief piano technician,I have tuned the =
concert piano for many pianist from all over the world.Among them,there =
are about ten American piano professors and concert pianists.They come =
from New England Conservatory of music,Eastman school of Music,Julliard =
School, Temple Uni. etc'.
                I have a lot of experience of piano tuning and =
repairing,but I lack the practice and training of hammer voicing and =
action regulation.
                I have been doing research work from 1987, a "piano hand =
book" and many papers about piano technology and music acoustics have =
been published.SCM broke the rule to promote me as the associated =
professor and I have been the youngest associated professor at SCM for =
two years.In fact,I am the youngest associated professor in the SCM =
history.
                =20
                I plan to go to the USA next spring or summer, My =
visiting period is 12 months.During this time I'd like to have a =
position to continue the study of piano technology at a college,a =
conservatory,an institute or an Uni. Or I'd like to work at a suitable =
school and learn from the piano technician.(no salary,of course.)=20
                =20
                Thank you for your patient reading,and
                Contact me if you are interested in my visiting!
               =20
                Sincerely yours,
                Baoli Liu
                Shenyang Conservatory of Music