Historical in KC

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon Dec 14 13:27 MST 1998

Greetings,

Ed- good luck with the class. You will do fine. I have taken a back seat
in these discussions for some time, for a variety of reasons, but I
could offer that I really do not engage in long discussions about
temperament with the musicians I work with. It rarely comes up. They all
know, or have some idea about my opinions, and they respect and trust my
aesthetic judgement to produce a tuning that will be appropriate. I have
even heard the faculty brag to visitors that "our" tuner can tailor
tunings to compliment individual instruments and music. Our reputation is
on the line with every tuning, regardless of temperament, and my
decisions about the tuning are my small contribution to the larger
musical event.  Of course I am open to discussion, but it would hard for
me to work in a place where I did not have this professional freedom,
responsibility and respect. Only once, several years ago, did someone
suggest that my harpsichord tuning was too strong. I politely disagreed,
but quickly tamed it down without incident. No problem.

Ed has always had a very conservative, sensible voice on this subject and
he will provide a useful introduction to anyone considering expanding
their temperament vocabulary.

nice holiday to all,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College