Historical in KC

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon Dec 14 08:44 MST 1998

Michael writes:
<<All you have to do is sit down, stop the
internal dialogue and it will become very obvious. Perhaps Ed can chime
in with how to get it.

Greetings,
   Thanks for such a great plug, Michael.  I think you have hit the nail on
the head with how to "get it".  ( I am assuming that by that you mean, how to
get the best effect of the music? If they want to get the CD, they can just
email me!).
   The way to get the most out of the differences is to make listening the
priority.   If you are going to be using Beethoven as background music, it
doesn't matter what the tuning is, really.  However,  the full impact comes
when  listeners allow their full attention to be focussed on listening, not on
getting their books done, or housecleaning while the "Moonlight" plays, etc.
at least, not at first.
    One topic I hope to successfully address at KC is the undoing of our sense
of tonality.  Without being aware of it, modern ears are not tuned in to
receiving the message that is carried by various levels of tempering.  This is
an acquired skill, and the benifits are extolled by those that have reached
it.  Which brings up the "King has no clothes" syndrome.  ah.  so much to do.
    I am grateful for all the suggestions so far on the Caut list for the HT
class.  It gives me a good framework to build as much value into the time as
possible.. Now, Please Hold On To Your Seat!  I am going to pitch this to the
pianotech list at large, and I expect there to be some heathens raging.  If we
can all ignore the negatives, we may find some useful dialogue.
Thanks again everybody
Regards,
Ed