Historical in KC

Richard E. West rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Sun Dec 13 11:07 MST 1998

I've been using a Valoti temperament the past 2 years and found it
satisfactory for the needs we have at the university I work for.  Most of
the local people using the harpsichords and our fortepiano don't seem to
care one way or the other and I'm not sure they even know the instruments
are in unequal temperament although the ones that do know and take an
interest in tuning are pleased I'm able to give them an HT.  Visiting
performers are happy to have a Valoti temperament although I've also used a
Neihardt variety, a Werkmeister, and others.  I've stayed with the well
temperaments as a safe middle ground to give some color without sounding too
"out of tune."

What I would like to have presented in a class on HT is a selection of 4 or
5 temperaments that apply to various time periods, ie, a temperament that
suits composers before Bach, a temperament Bach would have used, a
temperament Beethoven would have used, a temperament suited to Chopin and a
generic HT that would suit a  program with  selections from a variety of
time periods.  It would be helpful to know what keys work best with each
temperament so that it would be possible to suggest a temperament given that
a performer might be playing a Bach Suite in E Major, for example.

What I don't like about most classes in HT is that the instructors usually
take this stuff too seriously.  I frequently hear statements like, "Hear how
the tension/drama of that chord is heightened by the fast beating third."
It may be true for them, but to be honest, even though I have been working
with HT's for several years, when I sit in the audience about the only time
I really notice the temperament is when the piece slows down so that you can
actually hear a fast third or wild fifth, or slow beating triad.   I believe
in the concept of historical performance practice I enjoy tuning HT's,  but
I'm not sure how much difference HT's have for modern performers and
audiences.  An HT won't make a bad performance better;  ET won't take much
away from an outstanding performance.

Richard West