Historical in KC

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat Dec 12 08:50 MST 1998

Hi Ed,

   This would also be of great value to me. For some reason, I haven't
had much trouble getting people to try the HT's (mainly getting them to
try it for a bit to get used to the differences). A Mozart piano concerto
already and a grad. student violist for his Master's recital this spring,
if I can come up with the right HT for his music. May even have to use
both pianos and switch at intermission, but that's OK, too.
   But until I get comfortable with which temperament to use for which
music, I can't push it as much as I could otherwise.
   Handouts with offsets (with date ranges) for any useful HT's not in
the SAT manual might also be useful.
   I'm more and more convinced that a university setting is the ideal
place to begin exposing people, esp. the students, to HT's. If they don't
learn about them here, they probably never will. Unless they move to
Madison, WI, of course. :-)

Avery

>What I would find most useful is information on how to choose an
>appropriate temperament for a historic concert. Like a time line with
>various countries in different colors as a particular temperament spread
>across the world.

>At 06:32 PM 12/11/98 EST, you wrote:
>>Greetings fellow CAUTS,
>>     I suppose I will ask the pianotech list about this later, but for now,
>>the caut list seems to be a more experienced group, and in the main,
>possessed
>>of more common sense, so I am starting here.
>>     I have been asked to give two classes at the national convention in KC
>>this year on the historical temperaments, and I would like to get some
>>suggestions from my fellow techs on the content that would be most valuable.
>>I don't plan on emphasizing "how" to tune these temperaments, but rather, on
>>how to implement the consideration of them, and perhaps the academic
>>environment is the most fertile and difficult place for this.  Avery has
>begun
>>the crusade down in Texas, and I  imagine there are several others that have
>>given exposure to the concept.
>>    What I would like to ask for from the caut community is suggestions of
>>what would be of value on this topic.
>>Thanks for any responses
>>Best,
>>Ed Foote