Second Action for Steinway Concert Grand

Thu Dec 10 19:21 MST 1998

Mike,

My approach in dealing with this at UCLA was a little different than
what others have done in that, rather than fit an entire action,
I simply fit another stack.

Answers, well, sort of anyway, to your questions:

At 08:23 AM 12/10/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>      I recall Ken Sloan teaching in a class on how he built a second
>action for a concert grand at Oberlin so that pianists could have two
>options of voicing with one piano.

Hmm - A class I would like to see.

>  What I want to know is, has anyone
>else done this?

Yes, a couple of times.

>How much does it cost?

Depends on the approach.  Mine was cheaper in some ways, more
expensive in others.

> Who did the keyset, keyframe,
>action rails etc?

I used the existing keyframe/keyset, and built the second action
from a second stack.

> Did both actions use NY hammers or other "genuine
>parts"?

Both actions on each instrument had NY hammers, with other parts
from Renner (modified).

> How well did this work?

Extremely.  Most of the folks were unaware of the changes.

> What unexpected pitfalls were there?

Lots of geometry issues with either method, I suspect.  One big
issue, which Ken may comment on, was plate height.  Too high
on both Ds.  Also, I had not really thought through the problems
of having to change the checks and capstans with each switch.

>Was Steinway willing to do this?

You've got to be kidding.

 > How much of the work could you do
>yourself?

All.  In another instance, not dissimilar from the one Ken describes,
I did do a completely separate action, and it was on the basis of the
headaches encountered with that project that I went with separate
stacks at UCLA.

> Where do you store it?

Lockers backstage.

 > Has it made your job a headache in
>anyway, (i.e. artists making you pull the action twenty times so they
>can make up their mind which one to use)?

This sort of gets into the philosophical area generally titled: "And
how do you approach concert work to begin with?"

Sorry, that's very glib.

No, I did not allow the kind of personal abuse you mention to occur.
That was largely the case because, at the time, I was spending a good
deal of time listening to live and recorded performances of a great
many pianists, and simply decided which stack to install without
consultation.

For that matter, the only reason S&S ever knew (if anyone remembers
now) is that Richard Probst caught me making the switch one time...

 >This would make a great
>Journal Article.

Yep - Talk with Ken.

>     I am seriously considering making a recommendation to do this given
>that artists can't agree on how bright a piano should be, and we have
>one D which must please all.

I rather suspect that in the scenario you describe that having two completely
separate actions would be preferable, if you really need/want to do this
at all.  While it was, for me, a good thing to have that flexibility, it
certainly did introduce a good deal of additional labor.  (On that point,
I am not sure that either method is significantly "better" than the other;
both have advantages.)

It was fun. I was a good deal younger.  Besides, nowdays, most pianists
think of piano keys as 88 on/off switches.

Brighter is better, as long as there is still tone.

Best to all.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer