(Fwd) Salary survey information request

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Dec 10 11:20 MST 1998

Hi Avery,
You wrote:
 The 'requiring' thing has never come up
since most of my performance tunings start at 5 PM. I can basically set my
own hours so if I want, I can always come in late to offset the late
tunings.

When I was at UGA, I was pretty much able set my own hours.  Not an early
bird, I liked that at the time.  I could come in around lunch and work into
the night if I wanted to, and be able to get more done that way.  I was
working graveyard shift and weekends to be able to get to whatever needed
doing, including tuning faculty studio pianos, concert pianos, busy
practice rooms, etc., because I wanted to impress them without
inconveniencing them.  But since I've moved over here, I was fortunate
enough to follow someone who took no crap off of anybody, and they liked
him.

I can't decide if it's frustrating, or a blessing, or what, but our
performance hall here is also used as a classroom, seminar room, rehearsal
room, faculty meeting room, etc., and the schedule is booked.  I have to
reserve tuning times prior to the start of the semester, or I may not be
able to get in (in October I reserved times for next semester).  There are
2 D's (ca. 1994) in there.  The only time available for me to tune for
concerts is prior to 9 or 10 am.  (Then on Thursday, there may be a faculty
meeting at 8:30, regardless of that you've reserved the room, which you
weren't told about until they come in and you're just moving into the
treble section.)  The prepared piano just has to sit there all day and go
through rehearsals, classes, etc., but that has always been the case here
and the faculty is very understanding.  So far, and I've only been here
since August, I've gotten only raving compliments on my tunings and
technical work on those pianos despite the length of time they are tuned
before the performance.  My weekend performances are tuned on Friday
(morning even), unless there is something extremely special going on.  But
the scary thing is that the schedule is so booked, that in the event of a
broken string, or something in the action going haywire (we sometimes have
to live with damper problems--another great subject for discussion), there
quite possibly may not be enough time to repair it prior to performance.

But because of that schedule, I'm able leave by no later than 4:30, and
either go make extra money or spend the afternoon with my family (the
norm).  I still can pretty much set my own hours, but I've come to prefer
the standard ones.  I've gotten used to getting up early.  I'm happy, the
faculty seems very happy...life is good..... ......finally.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina