brass vs. iron

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Sat Dec 5 11:39 MST 1998

	I am positive from my experience with harpsichords (especially one I have
been renting out on a regular basis for over ten years) that temperature is
the main factor in rapid pitch drift, and there is a tremendous difference
between the two metals. During the winter, it makes no sense to tune right
after moving in and setting up - if I do, I generally notice the first
register I tuned has changed up to 5 cents while I am pulling in unisons on
the second (even a less than half hour drive in the back of the van the
strings have changed temp enough to make that happen). Half an hour to an hour
of sitting is usually enough to stabilize for tuning purposes, as far as temp
is concerned (assuming the hall is stable).
	I have also observed an upward spike in pitch of two to three cents (steel
wires) to five cents (brass wires) after about ten minutes with a door opened
to lower the temperature to the specifications in the symphony musicians'
contract (breeze flowing over the strings).
	I used to attribute most of the fluctuation to humidity. That is a factor
over a period of hours or days (and a major one if the change in humidity is
major), but pitch drift due to temperature is almost instantaneous. It affects
wind instruments about as much (and in the opposite direction), so enormous
cacaphony can result.
	I'm glad modern pianos aren't affected so much by temperature fluctuations,
though I have noticed pitch drift on bass strings while tuning when a heating
vent blowing directly on them, or sunlight hitting bass strings, warm them up.
Affects the bass strings more - my theory is that's only because the copper
conducts the heat faster. Anyone else had experience along those lines?

Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico