quick voicing poll

Fri Dec 4 18:30 MST 1998

Guy,

OK, I was trying to keep things down to a dull roar, as
requested.

I have, for years, used a technique similar to what Roger describes
with the small (well, maybe not so small) change that I usually
pull the stack, really soak the hammers with acetone (several times,
covering them with aluminum foil, and letting the excess run off into
ice cube trays - usually, this works overnight), then carefully using
my trusty OSHA-safe air hose nozzle (with as much ooomph as I can get),
I blow the junk, err, keytop material, down through the hammer and into
the trays.

This (seems to) get most of the keytop material out.  If you have time, you
can let the hammers just air dry (although, the compressed air does a pretty
good job of that, too), or use a hair dryer.

All of the above is predicated on the fact that I do not, with masssively
rare exception, use keytop as a hardener.  _I_ do not like the resulting
sound/tone.  (Yes, I know how.  Yes, I have had to use it, a lot.  Yes,
I also know that it was originally introduced as a very low-level quick fix
when other hardeners would not work with sufficient speed.  I still don't
like the sound.)

Now, it's _my_ turn for the flame suit!

Cheers!

Horace

At 05:43 PM 12/4/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>At 04:33 PM 12/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi Jeff,
>>           Wet needling is the way to go.
>>Now for my flame suit or straight jacket.
>>Regards roger
>>

>Roger,
>	Can't wait to try it on a couple of over-pounded L's and R's from a few
>years ago. Seems like the ones that get moderate play don't get near as
>bad. On the other hand, we don't have any moisture in the air to help the
>hardening process. (can't hardly quick-set CA glue, either!) Matter of
>fact, the dryness makes for problems if you use the "pliers" method
>mentioned on another post. I've found that squeeze-a-fied hammers sound ok
>for awhile, but then become very difficult to file, or even lightly dress,
>and picky little voicing changes are almost impossible.
>	I've never done a  "flush" as described, but I've had good luck on the
>BPO's with just straight acetone right on the strike till it soaks down to
>just about the tip of the moulding.
>Good luck with whatever you do, Jeff.
>
>Guy
>"When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty."

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office
Stanford University