brass v. iron

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 3 20:20 MST 1998

Hi Conrad,
                 Does this fortepiano have a plate or just bits and pieces
of iron to hold it all together?
Am I correct in assuming it's staight strung?  The only one that I Have
worked on was a Collard & Collard, straight strung, with some iron
reinforcing bars. The case had some of the most beautiful marquetry that
I've ever seen, however as a piano, that's another story.
Regards Roger

At 08:48 PM 03/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Don,
>At 17:49 12/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi Conrad,
>>
>>So I would disagree that humidity is *not* a factor. I would also disagree
>>with Roger how ever. You can give repeateable phenomina predict what the
>>wood will do. (Atleast to the tuning).
>
>Well, I didn't say that humidity wasn't a factor - completely. ;-} (How's
>that for hedging?)
>
>IMHO, If you could change the humidity and the temperature entirely
>independent of each other I think you would see much more change due to
>deltatemp within that 1.5 hr than due to deltaRH.
>
>If there were no finish on the soundboard, or the time frame were longer,
>then RH would certainly be a big factor.
>
>The original post referred to a fortepiano, which most likely doesn't have
>any crown on soundboard (at least the beasty I care for doesn't), so... any
>change wrought by humidity would have to be by the mechanism of changing the
>entire case dimensions.  Finishes _are_ permeable, I know, but I don't think
>that they are that transparent to humidity.
>

>Conrad Hoffsommer  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
>
>First Law of Freelance Artists:
>-A high-paying rush job comes in only after you
> have committed to a low-paying rush job.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.