Antique Broadwood piano

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu Dec 3 16:21 MST 1998

List,

   I received this e-mail today and since I do no work on "antique"
pianos such as this, I was wondering if anyone could send some answers
to her questions. The one thing that bothers me is the "restrung for
the American market" line in her post. Thanks.

Avery

     Dear Mr. Todd, I ran across your name while surfing the net for
information on antique pianos. I am inquiring on behalf of my parents,
who own a circa 1840-1865 John Broadwood & Sons artcase Cottage Grand
piano. It still bears an original certificate under the piano wires
saying "Cottage Grand #455," is also stamped or carved underneath the
body on various components with the number 1593, is carved in very tiny
letters undernearth with the name "J. Hill," has 50 ebony & ivory keys,
2 pedals, a wooden frame for the wires, has the word Patent inscribed
underneath the music stand, a split fallboard with John Broadway & Sons
on it in goldleaf. They were told by a tuner who refused to work on it
that it was possibly a museum quality piece. It has been restrung for
the  American market by someone in Houston (I don't know who). Their
desire is to make sure it is accurately appraised and insured, or
possibly sell it if it is indeed a piece which belongs in a museum (they
don't want that kind of  responsibility at this point in their lives).
Any information which you could give me as to its value or the name of
someone to whom we can turn, would be greatly appreciated.

You may e-mail me back (Cindi Schmerber schmerbers@computron.net) or
contact my parents directly (Bob & Ruby Allen, ballensr@ih2000.net).
Thank you,
Cindi Schmerber