brass v. iron

Thu Dec 3 13:00 MST 1998

Well, Dr. Pangloss, a.k.a. Roger,

At 13:22 12/3/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Conrad,
>                The numbers would be good IF you had an absolutely stable
>bridge and sound board, I seriously doubt that you could relate it to cents
>because of this factor.
>I agree with all your points with regards to predictibility of coefficients
>to metals, since heat transfer is also and rate of expansion is
>predictable, but trying to predict lumber??????? in tems of cents, now that
>is a challenge.
>I'm smiling not picking.

Wouldn't you say that in this best of all possible worlds, I could ignore
other confusing factors.  (facts?)

That said, in this situation the time factor (1/2 hrs?) involved would
pretty much eliminate any wood temperature expansion coefficient anyway.
Even over time, the dimension change of wood seems negligible.  Methinks
the parameter which would be more critical to wood dimension changes would
be humidity spike induced by breathing of the audience. Even then, I don't
think there "wood" be enough time for even that to make a difference.

Still smiling ;-}

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College		(319)-387-1204