brass v. iron

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 3 12:25 MST 1998

>I don't have the figures in front of me, but the difference is significant
>enough to have been used in bi-metal thermometers for years.   With the
>right figures for your fp stringing, and a little calculator work, you
>could tell by the number of beats just how far the temperature had changed.
> Well... maybe more than a little number crunching, but it could be done.

Hi Conrad,
                The numbers would be good IF you had an absolutely stable
bridge and sound board, I seriously doubt that you could relate it to cents
because of this factor.
I agree with all your points with regards to predictibility of coefficients
to metals, since heat transfer is also and rate of expansion is
predictable, but trying to predict lumber??????? in tems of cents, now that
is a challenge.
I'm smiling not picking.
Regards Roger
Roger Jolly