Key height and key dip

Greg Granoff gjg2@axe.humboldt.edu
Wed Dec 2 15:58 MST 1998

Newton Hunt wrote:

> No difference in performance, but pianos can tell the difference in just
> 1 mm.  I had to lower a set on time just hours before a concert.
>             Newton

Newton,  I also was once asked a few years ago to lower the sharps on one of
our 'D's by a 32nd" from the height I had set.  As a pianist, it seemed
eminently comfortable, and as a technician, it met all the regulating
criteria as well as looking right, and no one had ever complained before.
The new height brought the blacks a little closer to 'burying' without
actually doing so, and I've not bothered to change back since then, again
with absolutely no comment.  (The request came from Ralph Gothoni, who, a
couple years back, won that mysterious musicianship award where the
recipient doesn't even know they're in contention until the decision is
announced.  Prize is something like $50,000.)  He seemed certain the
students in his upcoming master class would 'play better'  and of course
wanted it done yesterday.  I suspect that, with few exceptions, perception
of black key height by performers is a function of actually knowing such an
adjustment exists.  This, of course, leaves most pianists (students
especially) clueless. However, it doesn't preclude the possibility of
someone noticing something subtle being wrong without actually being able to
ID the source....

Greg Granoff   RPT
Humboldt State Univ.
CA