Soundproof Booth

Mon Aug 31 13:50 MDT 1998

John,

While there are other solutions out there (notably Wenger), I have had the
best luck with working out what amount to custom designs.  Note that even
units like those sold by Wenger depend on, among other things, discretely
poured, acoustically isolated concrete slabs (on a per-room basis) for
optimal sound isolation.

Does you Department Head want real anechoic isolation, or will a relative
degree suffice?  If the latter, what degree is acceptable?  Was what he
saw transparent on _all_ sides?  (Doubtful.)

There are a variety of products, notably Sonex (address below), which, used
as a part of a given design, provide a very high degree of sound adsorption.

	Sonex Division of Illbruck, Inc.
	412 Pine St.,
	Mineral Point, WI 53565

Their Western Regional Office rep. is:

	Brian Lowey
	360 - 221 - 7818

Their Web address (which has the normal advertising rizraz) is:

	http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/index.html

(If it sounds like I am pushing this product, I am.  The range of
offerings can be used in many different ways, from the kind of isolation
you seek, to tuning complex room acoustics.  There is other stuff out
there, but this is easy to work with, etc., etc.)

Oh yes!  I almost forgot, the way to separate percussionists is to do
just that - preferably into orbit near Saturn.

Hope this helps!

Best to all.

Horace

At 03:56 PM 8/31/1998 -0300, you wrote:
>I was asked by the Headof the Music Department, in the University
>that I have a contract with. If I knew of the availability of a
>prefabricated booth that is sound proof and transparent.  He had
>seen one and had neglected to find out where they got it.
>They had apparently been playing a piano in it, and he had not heard
>the sound.   It was apparently a transparent booth.
>If anyone has any idea where these would be available, I would like
>to enquire
>as to price and availability.  He seemed to feel it might have been
>10' wide.
>Do any of your Universities have anything that would accomlish the
>same thing.
>I think he is thinking on seperating percussionists, in a larger
>classroom.
>Thank you.
>JohnM. Ross
>PTG Assoc.