repetition/backcheck problem

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue Aug 25 07:21 MDT 1998

>>>Well, here is the real kick in all this. I did a walkabout in the
building
and tried a number of different brands and found that I could make this
happen on all! I must be getting good at it.  :-)
This begs the question about proper technique in playing. Not being a very

good pianist, I need to consult about this. <<<<<

One teacher I had was a good pianist, another was a very good pianist.
Both used to pull this rapid repitition "trick" two fingers, (one finger
two hands, machine gunning if you will) to test my regulation. (The hammer
instead of checking would "catch" (bind)  on the back check) Their point
was with ultra fine regulation (esp rep spring strength and check height)
this amelorates the problem, but in some notes, and some pianos it can
always happen. Which I eventually proved when I applied this test to their
own pianos.  : < )
	One claimed he could make nine out of ten pianos fail on a certain Mozart
passage. (I FORGOT the piece, DUH) He didn't make the claim that it was an
impish impulse of Mozart to compose such a piece that would tax the
mechanism, but I will. But not being a good pianist, I will have to leave
this to others to propose which pieces. (There is the "question" of the
diff of Vienese and Erard actions comming into play here.)

Richard Moody

ps The action must be bedded of course AND the keybed must be ABSOLUTLY
scrupulously CLEAN and FREE of drag marks from the bedding heads. No gunk,
grit on the heads or surfaces etc.  No  build up of cornstarch or talcum
or whatever etc etc..

> From: DMCKECH <DMCKECH@ithaca.edu>
> To: CAUT@ptg.org
> Subject: repetition/backcheck problem
> Date: Monday, August 24, 1998 8:13 AM
>
> List,
>
> Thanks to all for the responses to my inquiry.

snip

, he is a very good pianist and I am sure he knows how to repeat a note