repetition/backcheck problem

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@rpa.net
Mon Aug 24 15:08 MDT 1998

> This begs the question about proper technique in playing. Not being a very
> good pianist, I need to consult about this. For a fast and short single
> note repetition, I was taught to use fingers one through four in quick
> succession not one finger repeating rapidly. With my limited ability, I was
> able to get good repetition on the pianos I tested by using the
> multi-finger technique. When you get a chance, please try this out.
> Obviously, I would feel better if someone discovered this as well!
>
> Hi Don:

I have noticed on a number of pianos when tuning and repeating notes very
quickly I can get them not to repeat but when playing them they seem to work
fine.  One piano is a B in a performance hall where some of the best piano
players at Eastman have performed and no one has ever complained about a
repetition problem.  I would take your pianist cutomer around to a few of these
other pianos so he could see first hand that this problem is a shortcoming of
many pianos, not just his.

Rob Edwardsen