Disklaviers

Richard E. West rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Fri Aug 21 17:54 MDT 1998

We have several Disklaviers of various incarnations including the latest
upright model MX1 which is quite an instrument, built in tone generator and
everything.  All of our instruments are uprights although we'd like to have
a Disklavier grand one day.  They are getting used more and more but the key
to their growing popularity among students is that a couple of professors
use the Disklaviers in a big way.  The trombone prof wanted the Disklavier
to do juries which has worked out great.  The string bass prof practices
scales and tuning  with his Disklavier.  (By the way he wants very narrow
octaves in the bass so I tune the fourths practically pure.  He loves it
that way.)  An older voice prof just got a Disklavier in her studio and is
excited about having her students practice with it.  We have 3 Disklaviers
that are available to students for practice and they are busy.  Since we
have only Disklaviers, I can't comment on other reproducer mechanisms, but
the Disklaviers have been relatively problem free and the few repairs I've
made haven't been too bad.  The worst repair wasn't even a Disklavier
problem.  The electricity in the studio was erratic and caused the
Disklavier to act up.  A clean electrical line cured the problem.  Another
repair was a blown fuse; if that didn't feel strange replacing a fuse in a
piano!

It was the trombone prof that got most of this started.  He's a computer
freak and has shown how much faster students improve when they have piano
accompanyment at their beck and call.  The tracks are laid down at lesson
time so there's no need for prerecorded stuff.  The accompanyists aren't
upset because it allows them to do more things and students are better
prepared to play with a real time, real person when the time comes.  We also
maintain computers that can be checked out from the library, rolled into the
Disklavier practice room, and plugged into the Disklavier.  Students can
edit disks, and compose and do whatever they do with midi and computers and
Disklaviers.

There has been some problem with disks.  Disklaviers still use the double
sided, double density disks instead the of high density ones.  I don't know
whether that's going to change or not, but it's getting harder and harder to
get double density disks.

There's a fellow NE chapter member who installs a lot of PianoDisk systems.
They seem comparable to Disklaviers but I've heard they don't reproduce
quite as accurately and the pedal mechanism isn't as sophisticated.  This is
only hearsay.  We don't have any pianos with PianoDisk mechanisms.  They do
play Disklavier disks, by they way.  Disklaviers won't play PianoDisk
created disks. That's why we've stayed with one brand so far, but I'd like
to try PianoDisk just to compare.  Also, since PianoDisks may be installed
by trained independant technicians, the quality of installation can vary
with the experience and ability of the technician.  Yamaha installs all its
own Disklavier systems.  There was a movement to make Disklavier
installation retrofit kits, but Yamaha decided not to pursue that option.  I
don't know the reason other than quality control.

Richard West
University of Nebraska