repetition/backcheck problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Aug 20 13:36 MDT 1998

Ron writes:
> If you replace
>the pinblock and the new one it thinner or thicker than the original, you
>may have changed the string height.  That would throw off the original
>boring specs.

Greetings,
   Not to mention the entire bearing picture!
It is common for the strings to be quite out of parallel witht the keybed,
especially in the top octave of the grands, as the strings go up from the capo
bar to the bridge.   	Taking a straight measurement as mentioned above will
not provide for the hammer to be at 90 degrees to the shank and string at
contact. Trying to get this relationship as close as possible has led me to
the following procedure.
    I find bore distance with  trial hammers marked in various bore distances,
and checked with a square from the string plane.  The hammers are square to
the shanks, so the shorter the boring the more acute the angle to a given
string.
 I like for the hammers to be at about 89 degrees.
REgards,
Ed Foote