repetition/backcheck problem

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu Aug 20 12:47 MDT 1998

Hi Robert:

Most of my experience has been involved with just copying the hammer
boring distance with consideration to wear. Just two years ago I first
ran into the difficulty which this can cause if the original boring was
not correct. In that first particular case, the hammers were
overcentering on the strings. If when the hammer contacts the
string, the hammershank is above level, it is hard to get the hammer to
strike at the correct strike point on the string without the hammer shoulder
rubbing the front edge of the soundboard. In that particular case the
problem was more with the action height location than the hammer boring, but
there may be many cases where if the boring distance is short, you will have
the same interference problems with the front edge of the soundboard. I wish
I could make an ascii art representation of this fitting so that it would
be more clear. If I figure out how to do it, I will post again on this
subject. It is really easy to draw it on a board.

Jim Coleman, Sr.