Baldwin Concert Master vs Disklavier

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Aug 19 19:16 MDT 1998

>Avery writes:
>>What I'm wondering about are any advantages of one over the other as
>>far as usage, longevity, upgradeability (is that a word?), maintenance,
>>etc.
>>   Feel free to reply off-list if you wish.
>
>No, No, !! reply on the list, I need to know this stuff too!. We will be
>purchasing a large complement of instruments at Vanderbilt in the next several
>years, and I was wondering where I could justify getting a few Disclaviers
>thrown in there, for teaching and playback purposes...etc. Maybe even the
>accompaniment  parts for duets that can't schedule practise together, ( Just
>play your part once, then head for the coffee shop while the cello learns the
>piece......??)
>   I would be very interested in any use of these reproducers in school
>environments. Thanks,
>Ed Foote

I am interested in hearing input on this too.  We have a concert master on
a Baldwin R here that is nice  but not being used much.  I love the idea of
students checking out accompaniment but the idea has not caught on.

As for comparing it to the Yamaha, the little bit of experience I have on
these would make me lean toward the Yamaha.  Our Baldwin in not real
precise at recording what is played.  It's pretty good but you can hear
subtle differences on the play back.  I have never noticed that with the
Yamaha.

Looking forward to hearing other responses...

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429