repetition/backcheck problem

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Wed Aug 19 14:04 MDT 1998

List,

I am having a repetition problem with an action from a Steinway L, vintage
1940's. The solution is eluding me and I hope someone can give me some
insight or better yet, the cure!

I started servicing this instrument several years ago. The action was
extremely worn. My customer was saving money to have the parts replaced so
I did my best to make the action function until the work could be done. (He
is a very good pianist) One of the problems was during a short but fast
repetition, on one note, the backcheck would catch the tail of the hammer
thus failing the repetition. (Two to four or five strikes and fast enough
repetition that the key does not come all the way up.) I thought this
problem was due to the extreme wear of the parts that made it impossible to
get a good regulation. For a temporary fix, I affixed a strip of action
cloth across the top of the wippen rest felts. (The shanks were very high
due to hammer wear.) This solved the problem until the replacement could be
done.

I have now replaced the parts, and you guessed it, the problem is still
there. After experimenting with different backcheck angles, taller wippen
rest felts, shimming the back feet of the action brackets (1/16" higher)
and regulation changes, I have not found the cure. The hammer tails were
shaped with jigs I made using the Spurlock method described in the PTG
Journal several years back. I did leave the tails a bit longer than the
originals. The measurement from shank center to the tail end, on the old
hammers, was about an inch. I left the new ones at 1 1/8" but the radius of
the tail shaping is the same. Comparing dimensions with a similar Steinway
L here at school has shed no clues. As you can tell, I suspect a geometry
problem but I cannot find where. Any help with this quandary would be
greatly appreciated.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca.edu