Do Universities Pay Guild Dues?

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue Aug 18 10:43 MDT 1998

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hello,
>     Do any universities pay your guild dues or is this "untypical" or
> improper?  I've always paid mine personally but I wonder if they should
> be paying this?

I've worked at three different universities -- Wichita State, Univ. of
Illinois and Univ. of Michigan -- and none of them paid (or even offered
to pay) my guild dues.  If, as a condition of employment, I were required
to maintain such a membership, I would try to make a case for having the
department cover those dues.  I'm not aware of a situation, though, where
PTG membership is a requirement for employment.  It's always couched in
terms of being preferred. It's been my experience, though, that
departments generally will support my involvement in the Guild (attending
conventions and the like) to the extent that it's considered continuing
education.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan