basic questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 13 12:52 MDT 1998

Hi Rob,
         Now comes the $64,000.00 (U.S.) question, is hammer reshapeing not
considered voicing or toneing?
 I have been conducting experiments for the last three years on some
University grands, that were rehammered. Instead of very light sanding and
light needling every 12 months, I have steamed the grooves out with a
slightly damp cloth, initial indications seem to show that you can "pop
out" the grooves, minimising the amount of needling and reshaping. Two
advantages that I can see, less mass removal, therefore less touch weight
variance, less invasive due to the requirement to needle. If you are going
to try this the cloth should be bearly damp, and not wet as in radical
toning down. If you have had no experience with steam this is NOT the place
to start.
  Rob you commented about a three week thread, I'll help play devils advocate.
Regards Roger

>Using steam or fabric softener is a whole different ball game and
>relates more toward voicing then grooves. This is not a solution,
>reshaping comes first and then voicing.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina