Pacific Gold Hammers

Mon Apr 20 08:14 MDT 1998

David,

At 08:06 AM 4/17/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Lookink for a voice of experience with these hammers,
>especially how appropriate they would be on a 1909 Steinway
>compared to Renner or S&S hammers-question comes from the
>piano's owner. I use both of the other two, have no
>knowledge of Pacific Gold. Please compare weight,tone,
>workability. Thanks.

I cannot compare weight, as I've never _rally_ weighed them.  On the
other hand, the sets I have wound up working on have generally had
(what I consider to be) a more "Japanese" sound, i.e., lots and lots
of "pop", but not enough core in the tone to sustain things at a high
volume level.  Maybe, another way to say that is that they will produce
acceptable tone at lower volumes levels, and then, at some certain
point, the volume of tone produced actually _seems_ to decrease with
increased power.

My personal preference for hammers on S&S pianos, at this point,
anyway, are either the Encore or Concert Encore from Wally.  The
Renner hammers have, for my taste, too much mass, and the NY
hammers, other problems aside, are simply too inconsistent.

>28 days and counting 'til I'm OUTTA  HERE!

You're gonna love it!

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT