New Building Update

Michael J. Wathen wathenmj@email.uc.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:27 MDT 1997

Sounds exciting!  We have moved into various new spaces over the last year
and a half.  Our main auditorium opened up with a Gala, April 1996.

You can see a pictures of it here:

http://www.uc.edu/~wathenmj/piano/instruments.htm

Tell us more about your shop.  Did you get new equipment?

At 12:15 PM 9/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>   Well, we started using our new music building July 5th and everything is
>now pretty well all finished and running. It's WONDERFUL, especially
>compared to what we were in before. It's great to have a shop I can
>actually put a couple of pianos in to work on. Everything isn't like I want
>it yet, but eventually......
>   I got all 136 pianos tuned before the Fall semester started, with a lot
>of help from a couple of "associates" (thanks Danny & Les). Actually I
>still have a few of our "lease" pianos not tuned yet, but soon.
>   Our new S & S 'D' and 5 B's are also here. The B's need a lot of prep
>yet, which the dealer is providing and I've just been putting out "brush
>fires" as they've come up. Once they're done and all the problems are
>corrected, I think they're going to be very good instruments.
>   The 'D' sounds great in the new hall and the acoustics in the hall are
>wonderful and it's georgeous to look at. The shell around the stage is
>two-toned wood and the panels above the stage are adjustable. There's a
>large orchestra pit where the floor can be raised/lowered. All in all, I
>think it's going to be a great year.
>   This is our grand opening week with concerts beginning Tuesday and
>running through next Monday (this Thursday is dark). For those interested,
>here is the list of concerts:
>
>   Marilyn Horne, Mezzo-Soprano & the UH Orchestra
>   John Bayless, Pianist (Rhapsody in Blue) with the UH Wind Ensemble
>   Academy of Ancient Music - London (Vivaldi's The Four Seasons)
>   Verdi Requiem, Robert Shaw, Conductor - with a 250 voice choir and UH
>      Orchestra
>   Larry Gatlin - A Salute to His Alma Mater
>   UH Jazz Orchestra with The Three Tenors (Joe Henderson, George Coleman and
>      Joe Lovano, Tenor Saxophone's)
>
>   How's that for a variety!!!! :-) The concerts are being used for fund
>raising, with the cheapest ticket available to any concert being $75.00.
>Marilyn Horne's cheapest ticket is $500.00!! Other categories range on up
>to as much as $25,000.00. We can get comp tickets, of course!
>   Sorry about being a little off-topic, but I just had to talk about it a
>"little".
>
>Avery
>

>___________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4893
>713-743-3226
>atodd@uh.edu
>http://www.uh.edu/music/

Michael J. Wathen				Email: michael.wathen@uc.edu
College-Conservatory of Music		tel: 513 556-9565
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0096			http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu