Piano Pedagogy Classes

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.EDU
Sat Sep 6 09:46 MDT 1997

Hello,

I have been invited to lecture at our piano pedagogy classes in the past.

I usually have as materials different action parts, i.e. hammers, wippens,
backchecks, pieces of various felt and buckskin, tuning pins, etc.
Also, if you have an old piece of pinblock material handy, you can cut
through a section where the holes are and show the pins in place.

I also bring in my action models and I have printed copies of vertical and
grand actions for each student.

I like to discuss things that they are not likely to hear in their normal
class discussions,such as; construction, amount of accumulated
string tension (that's always an eye opener), what happens when the key is
depressed (in slow motion), setting the pitch, comparing the beat of the
string against the fork.

Many of the things we take for granted as technicians are extremely
interesting to students and professors alike, and don't be afraid to ask
for questions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Paul Kupelian, RPT
kupelian@oswego.edu