Pinblock Epoxy Help

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 26 13:31 MST 1997

Avery Todd wrote:

> Roger,
>
>    I really don't think the water got into the block much at all, if any.
> It was mainly the tuning pin bushings which got most of the water. There
> wasn't a lot, anyway. Just enough to rust some strings and discolor the
> bushings.
>    Your idea with the heat sounds good. One question, though. If the epoxy
> runs like water and there aren't any cracks/crevices, will it still wick
> into the wood enough to *glue size* the hole? Would CA glue maybe be
> better in this case?
>
> >Hi Avery,
> >          Did the water reach the pin block area?   If so you may some
> >pin block seperation. I have used epoxy (same brand) in the following
> >manner with success. Step 1. Slacken off pin block jack. Step 2 Tape
> >underside of block. Step 3. Apply a liberal amount of epoxy into the
> >hole with hammer shank and hair drier the epoxy will run like water.
> >Step 4 retighten jacks and redrive pin. Go for coffee.
> >   You need to work quite quickly as the heating of the epoxy sets it up
> >a lot faster, but it lowers the viscosity so that it can be squeazed
> >into any cracks. Having the pin on the coil before you start is
> >important. I'm sure this will work.
> >Roger Jolly
> >University of Saskachewan
> >Dept of Music.
>
> ___________________________
> Avery Todd, RPT
> Moores School of Music
> University of Houston
> Houston, TX 77204-4893
> 713-743-3226
> atodd@uh.edu
> http://www.uh.edu/music/
Avery,
        I think the force of driving the pin would certainly seal the
end grain of the lumber and stablise it. How loose is loose? CA works
great on loose marginal! but if you are needing quite a bit of gap
filling I think the epoxy approach might be better, Since you mention
plate bushings, water will get past them very quickly, so don't fool
yourself that they will have protected the pin block. With this type of
problem I would be inclined to replace the bushing as well, A new one
will reduce the tendancy for the pin to flagpole and give the hole in
the block a bit more stability. If you find you are forced into over
size pinning I would hand ream the hole to get rid of rust and garbage
that may have washed into the hole.
Good luck Roger.