Pinblock Epoxy Help

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 26 11:45 MST 1997

Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
>    I need some quick advice. I'm having to restring the bass on a piano
> that had some water damage on some of the bass strings and dampers: rust,
> etc. I want to reuse the old pins, if possible, so I thought I'd try the
> epoxy treatment to make sure they're tight enough to hold well.
>    The first three pins I've installed (#1, 2 & 3 strings) are so loose
> they won't even hold. Is this normal until the epoxy has cured? Am I
> doing something wrong?
>    I'm using a brand called Devcon High Strength 5 minute Epoxy. The
> epoxy is blue and clear and it's mixed until the blue color disappears.
> The ingredients listed are epoxy resin, 2, 4, 6-tri (dimethylaminomethyl)
> phenol and polymercaptan.
>    I'm going to stop for an hour or so and see if the pins tighten up.
> In the meantime, any quick responses would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Avery
>
> ___________________________
> Avery Todd, RPT
> Moores School of Music
> University of Houston
> Houston, TX 77204-4893
> 713-743-3226
> atodd@uh.edu
> http://www.uh.edu/music/
Hi Avery,
          Did the water reach the pin block area?   If so you may some
pin block seperation. I have used epoxy (same brand) in the following
manner with success. Step 1. Slacken off pin block jack. Step 2 Tape
underside of block. Step 3. Apply a liberal amount of epoxy into the
hole with hammer shank and hair drier the epoxy will run like water.
Step 4 retighten jacks and redrive pin. Go for coffee.
   You need to work quite quickly as the heating of the epoxy sets it up
a lot faster, but it lowers the viscosity so that it can be squeazed
into any cracks. Having the pin on the coil before you startis
important,I'm sure this will work.
Roger Jolly
University of Saskachewan
Dept of Music.