S&S Hieght of damper underlever tray

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue Oct 21 12:22 MDT 1997

At 08:44 PM 10/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On 20 Oct 1997, Lorlin D. Barber wrote:

  Has anyone had any
>> such problems with underlever tray height?  Got any suggestions other than
>> planing the tray or something else on the drastic side?
>
>	Lorlin,
>	I'm assuming that the tray can't go any further down because it's
>already resting on the felts on top of the dags.  You should also
>check the condition and thickness of the key end felts. If they're badly
>worn, as we sometimes see on Steinways from the 60s and 70s, this could be
>part of the reason why the dampers are lifting late with the keys. You may
>have to replace these felts and completely re-regulate the dampers before
>you can properly adjust the pedal.
>
>Good luck!

Steve,
	I've found that I save a lot of aggravation by just doing those key end
felts anyway. Most of the time, it's an instant regulation, too. I use the
wallpaper paste remover and time. Things dry quickly here, and the labor
just isn't that big a deal.
	Damper problems HAVE to be my least favorite...how about you?

Guy Nichols, RPT

Guy Nichols, Member, PTG
nicho@lascruces.com

              "Not everything that counts can be counted,
               and not everything that can be counted counts."
				                          Albert Einstein