Filing over-needled hammers

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu Oct 9 13:24 MDT 1997

Hi, Kent,

I have encountered similar problems with various hammer sets over the
years, especially old S&S hammers.

I have used spray laquer over the crown.  This helps but does not cure
the problem of splitting at the strike point.

ALso I have used a moto tool to shape the hammers, which helps because
it removes smaller pieces of felt very fast and retards splitting.

If the piano sounds good and the customer is happy leave it alone for a
while, unless the customer is unhappy then schedule the rehammering.

I do know that glovers needles do cut the fibers instead of spreading
them and therefore have discontinued their use.

Try the lacquer by masking off all except the strike point about 3/16"
and hold the can further away so the lacquer has a chance to blow off
thinner and prevents deep penitration.

Hope this helps.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com