voicing thread...collodian tangent...

Thu Oct 9 11:18 MDT 1997

Alan,

Absolutely no arguments with your position.  I've used collodian/ether
combinations for many years - as well as collodian acetone.  My
experience is that acetone doesn't "carry" as well in dense hammers, and
that the mixture seems to sometimes cloud.  (OK, so, it's a personal issue...)

My main concern, however, with the use of ether is flammability.  The
flash (read "ignition") point for ether is only 140 degrees F, with a
relatively small ppm (parts per million) ratio.  Normal incandescent
lights are hotter than that.

As a further note, I very seldom use collodian at all on "soft" (read
NY S&S, or Ronson) hammers, preferring "heavy" (automotive) lacquer
and lacquer thinner.  (Do it once.  Do it right.  Leave it alone.)  However,
collodian _is_ my hardener of choice (when any hardener is necessary, to
begin with) for hard or "hot" pressed hammers.  I simply prefer the sound.
To _my_ ear, it is easier to develop the kind of well centered, carrying
sound, with the widest possible dynamic range, using these methods.

As you read this, bear in mind that I do not like what has come to be
contemporary piano tone.  I find it shallow, lacking in well-developed
color, sometimes decent pianissimos going directly to often splatty
fortissimos (with very little in between), et cetera ad nauseum.  (Most
artists do not like it either, but they _do_ like to be nominally as loud
as the instruments {orchestras, whatever} around them.)

By-the-bye, outside of the pharmautical industry, the widest use
of collodian is in stage make up.  Just thought you'd like to know...

Best to all.

Horace

At 09:51 AM 10/9/97 CDT, you wrote:
>Recently, in response to Kent Swafford's querry on damaged hammers...
>Horace Greeley, as an aside to comments on hammer hardeners, wrote:
>
>>with the possible exception of collodion - and that, to be effective,
>>must be diluted with Ether, the use of which I do not encourage.
>
>Horace, I agree with your feelings on the Ether!  I *do*, however, use
>flexible collodian as a voicing hardener but have always mixed it 1/3
>(or leaner) with *acetone*.  I also use other hardener recipes.
>
>I'd like to hear more on the need for Ether as a vehicle in order for
>collodian to be truly effective.
>

>...For any not familiar with flexible collodian, it is a liquid used
>in years past to close wounds and lacerations (sort of paint-on
>stitching) and is currently available only through pharmacutical
>suppliers or pharmacists (in this area, anyway).
>
>The contents listed on my bottle are:
>                Alcohol.....................22.00%
>                Ether.......................67.00%
>                Pyroxylin....................4.75%