Steinway Keyboards

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 7 14:48 MDT 1997

Avery,
	I HAVE seen problems with nicks in the front key pins...due to
overly muscular factory workers attempting to square keys in a
hurry...they probably pay them by the keyboard!! I first noticed this
problem in 1987 and have mentioned it to the factory service reps on
numerous occasions. You can feel the key slide up and down against these
nicks by pushing the key to one side or the other while pushing the key up
and down. It can be verified by pulling the keys off and visually looking
for the nicks. They will pre-maturely wear the bushings, as well as add
friction.  Steinway will send you sets of replacement pins if you ask.

	Television: Chewing gum for the eyes.--Frank Lloyd Wright
            jminor@uiuc.edu//John Minor//University of Illinois