Piano Techs on Institutional Web Sites

Scott Thile RPT sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Mon Jun 30 10:32 MDT 1997

Hi David and list,

David Skolnik writes,
>Does anyone know the costs of putting their department on their institutions
>site, assuming it has one?   I know of a few, such as Cincinatti,  Murray
>State, etc.  Avery Todd's question about shop set up made me wonder about
>the feasibility of displaying various shops on the institutions' site.  My
>asking probably shows how little I know.

Here at Murray state it cost us nothing but time. One of our music
faculty took it on himself to learn html and set up the department's web
pages. He constructs the faculty pages from information we provide him.
He took pictures of all of us with a video camera and then converted them
into GIF or JPEG files for use on the web pages. (His computer has a
video interface that does this very easily).  I have thought about
including shop and instrument pictures as part of our pages.  The problem
with pictures is the "load time".  Good quality pictures require a very
large file size. These can take forever to load for users with dial in
access.  It's not as big a  problem for network users.

Since I like playing with computers I learned how to construct basic web
pages myself using Netscape's built in html editor. I maintain my own
page by giving our "webmaster" a disk with my updated file, he then FTPs
it on his next update.  I also maintain the CAUT pages.  I FTP the
updates myself for the CAUT pages.  Anyone with the time and very basic
(word processor type) computer skills can easily design and maintain
basic web pages. I am learning how to add search able databases and forms
to our current pages. Some things can get a little tricky, but the basic
stuff is easy.

Since the music department at MSU is not hard wired to the campus network
yet, the main MSU server is our only option.  Once we are hard wired
(should be next summer) we will likely be setting up our own server.

If I were you I would email the webmaster for your main campus web pages
and ask him if there is someone on staff who can help you get started.

Have fun!

Scott

Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano - Instrument Technician