Piano Techs on Institutional Web Sites

Michael J. Wathen Michael.Wathen@uc.edu
Mon Jun 30 04:50 MDT 1997

Here is the story about the CCM (Cincinnati)homepage.  Initially I didn't
know anything about Html language which was required to write web pages.  I
also didn't know anything about how to FTP files from my Pc to the server.
We managed to procure about $300 to hire a student who knew all this stuff.
He designed my original page and the schools Piano Tech page.  In the
process he totured me and I learned.

That has been the only cost.  My assumption is that most institutions have a
miriad of servers which offer free space.  So the thing to do in your case
(David ) is talk to the administrator of Manhattan's homepage to have them
get you started.

Another route which I am just begining to persue is that of making your own
PC act like a web server.  If you school is like mine you are connected to a
Network.  This means that when you connect to the Internet or send mail you
don't go through a modem.  This connection is always on for us.  This means
that as long as I don't turn my machine off anyone can access the files or
pages that I set up for viewing.  In other words I am a server.

The software for doing this is freeware.  Microsoft offers its own version.
You can find this freeware at the address below.

http://tucows.1st.net/tucows/index.html

I am working on this method and hope to have it up by the end of the week.

As far as usefulness.  We've been using it for over a year now.  I bet we
have had about a dozen or so persons submit one of the three forms we
maitain.  There seems to be a reluctance in general on the web for people to
use forms.  Often they will look up the number on the screen and call us
with the info.  We have one form that is a required form for stage managers
needing to request an instrument or submit a tuning schedule for a show or
production.  We have received a dozen or so of these mandatory forms but in
each case the user prints the form out fills it in by hand and delivers it
to our door. Strange.

To proof that it works well.  I invite any of you to fill in one of the
forms with any garbage you want and submit it.  I will reply within 24 hours.

 Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
 Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
 College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
 University of Cincinnati